Tuesday 19 November 2013

Post flood sessions!

Following on from the trips down Hampshire to see the family, I decided this week that I was well over due a trip up my beloved river Wye for the day.....I spent a couple of days keeping an eye on the River Cameras and the EA water levels etc and Sunday looked bang on for a fish with the river sitting around 2-3 feet above normal level. Perfect!
chilly start on the Wye

I decided an early start was in order and the alarm was set for stupid o'clock! I got to the river around 6 am to find it looking great, but still very pacy! My first choice swim was still a bit too heavy flowing to hold bottom and I opted to go back to the car and head over the opposite bank, to fish on the tail of the tree line in some of the slacker waters.

Tough day again but a 3lb 13oz chub and two
other 2's made up for the dire day!
I sat for about 3 hours without as much as a nibble and by 12.30pm i'd had enough....another move was on the cards! A quick drive further upstream and i located 2 possible swims to target. The first was a large slack full of snags but a local chap followed me along and he fancied a go for the pike that supposedly lived in there. I obliged and headed to my 2nd choice spot where I'd had an 8lb 15oz barbel from in flood water conditions a few weeks back.

Another 3 hours passed without any action at all. I was beginning to doubt my sanity as darkness fell and the crisp cold air descended on the river bank. I held my nerve a little longer and I was rewarded with 3 chub in succession. 3lb 13oz, 2lb 8oz and 2lb 5oz. Not the intended barbel but in all honesty after such a tough day I was happy with anything!