Tuesday 28 January 2014

Wonderful weather!!!

No Perch.... but this little chunk made up for it!
I managed to get a few hours in briefly last Thursday afternoon on my club water after the Perch again. I met up with my good pal 'Taffy' for a good chin wag and hopefully a stripey or two. Things started slowly and none of us seemed to be near a fish whatsoever.

I decided to move a swim round and placed a rod on either side of my swim into the marginal shelf areas. I baited with CBS River Monster glugged Prawns and loose fed red maggots, prawns and CBS Pro Fish Groundbait.
Taffy was the only one to manage a Perch!

It took a little while before the fish came into the swim and the Perch seemed very distant and all bar impossible to catch this last week. I started to get a few odd twitches but after loosing a perch I felt I wasn't going to have much luck for the day.

Sitting it out as long as possible.....
A few moments later the left hand rod sprung into life and I found myself lent into another one of the lakes fine Mirror Carp. Not the intended species but hay-ho, it was a fish on a tough afternoon! A quick snap and she tipped the scales at 12lb 9oz. A nice Mirror and a blank saver. Taffy managed a little Perch around a pound but that was all the action we had with the perch for the evening.
Mid day sun!

My next session out was with good friends Cerri Jones and Joel Biddle up to the amazing Dolygaer Reservoir in Brecon. Needless to say we chose about the worst bloody weather conditions to go fishing in! The start of the day saw relentless heavy rain and severe strong winds blowing up the valley from the South. We opted to get behind some bankside cover on the West Bank and tucked ourselves away with 2 rods each out for the Pike.

The Hail was relentless and heavy!
We all chose different baits and techniques to find out what worked best on the day. There is a small river bed that seems to run across the area we fished and we targeted this area with a good mixture of deadbait and ledgering techniques.

Then the snow came too!
Things started off very slowly and it wasn't much before 11.30am before the first piece of action occured. This was on my left hand rod with a Mackerel presented hard on the bottom in about 12-15 feet of water.

All we could do was hide in the shelter!
The run started gently and built up to a slow spool spinner! I lent into a nice curve and it wasn't long before the first fish was in the bag. A nice Jack of about 6-7lbs. Not the intended monster female but at least a fish!

We sat it out all afternoon for little all else. Joel lost a fish on a Plug and Ceri pulled out of one on a deadbait as well.....I had a few gentle pulls that turned into nothing as well. We think possibly the Pike were biting very gently and were more than likely very small too.
Not much to talk about in size but intended species achieved!

The high light of the day though had to be the incredible changes in the weather throughout the day....Like I said it started very wet and windy from the South but the sun came out at around 1pm for an hour before the real change when the wind swapped round to the North...This brought with it the most incredible hail ive ever seen! This carried on for almost an hour before turning to snow!

The temperature dropped like a stone and with the road looking ever more impassable by the second, we opted to head home! I really fancy another go at the place though as it has some wonderful scenery and some cracking fish, if you can find them that is!