Thursday 31 July 2014

35!.....onward and upwards!

Tough low water conditions!
Good day all! At last I look out of my lounge window here in the hills of South Wales and I see cloudy sky's and rain filled clouds. Not what you really want in the height of summer but if your a barbel angler then you'll understand totally! Let's hope that a few days of it is all that's needed to boost the super low rivers and get the fish spurred into action a little!

Last night was no exception as I once again graced the banks of my club section of the Wye in Monmouthshire. For the first time in over 15 years my wife was able to come with me as the kids are having a 2 week holiday down to their grandmothers house. We had a late start as the wife didn't get in from work until nearly 5pm but after a quick coffee, change of clothes and the 55 mile trip, we were finally sat on the banks of the majestic Wye.

The river looked painfully low and flow was almost non-existent! To say it was like a canal was an understatement and it kind of confirmed my worst fears that in all honesty we were probably wasting our time being on this particular stretch of the river. So far it's been an awkward start to the 2014 season with very few fish coming out from the slower beats and the faster sections only producing late afternoon up until early evening.

Last weekend with Bob on the Luggs section was no different and it was at least 3pm before our first barbel even decided to show up! A long wait when you've been up since 2am!

Marianne was quite happy messing around feeding the small chub fry in the margins with her left over Prawn sandwiches while I made up 2 rods ready for the barbel. The rowing club were out in full force and as usual there were just one or two who refused to give more than a few feet of the river up to the anglers. At numerous points the same 2 rowers felt it was important to come in as close as possible and when I commented on their ignorance I was given nothing but abuse....such a shame as the majority are very polite and happy to share the river with each other.

My first rod was positioned at just on 15 yards as the boat traffic was so busy. The tip was placed down as low as I could get away with and I sat back to sort out the other rod. Within a few minutes of the first rod going into the swim I was into my first solid take! A very strong bite that saw the clutch spinning rapidly. As I set the hook a rower came in right under the bank at flat out speed! I shouted at him to slow up. This caused nothing less than more abuse but at least he slowed up enough to let me lift the line clear of the impending cut off he would have caused.

An 8lb 3oz bar of very welcome gold from my club stretch of the Wye!
The fight preceded to be difficult with many more boats coming through the swim backwards and unable to see the fact I was playing a fish....it has to be one of the only modes of transportation where the occupants are unable to see where they're going???? Crazy! Eventually after a torrid few minutes she was close enough in for me to relax a little. I sunk the net under her and we got all the camera equipment and mats etc ready.

I weighed her quickly and the wife took a couple of lovely pictures before we put the beautiful fish back to fight another day. At 8lb 3oz I was more than happy to have caught one from the less than easy club stretch. I felt there was a really good chance of a few more, so I got both rods back on the money and awaited results.....

Needless to say the results I would have liked didn't happen and a few hours later we were packing up and heading home with just the one first cast fish to show for our efforts. Despite it being a very lovely fish and above average weight barbel for the Wye too, I still felt that the swim could have produced more had the water been a little higher. I'm not complaining though as this fish takes me to 35 for the season so far which is pretty darn good in my opinion!!!

I'm back out on Sunday this week with client to fish at Sugwas Court. It's a lovely stretch that holds many fish up to double figures, so here's hoping we have a good day out!!!

Tight lines all

Keith x