Saturday 18 October 2014

A real struggle

Tips down and out the way of rowers!
The time had come for another trip up the Wye....The weather has changed slightly and the wet weather I could see coming in from our lounge window. I waited and waited for the next bit of free time and finally I had an opening to get out and fish.

I decided to get out on the Sunday evening for a few hours and then rough it over night before re-starting a fresh in the morning. The Sunday evening produced little more than a wet set of clothes, damp chair and a head ache in the form of the Rowing clubs efforts to grab every second of the day into complete darkness.....causing major issues for the anglers fishing.

I reset my traps on the Monday morning and fished hard for 5 hours in the one usually productive spot without so much as a bite. I decided on a move and headed for another likely upstream spot. This heralded absolutely nothing at all as well...Oh well, another move further upstream towards the end of the beat and some slightly shallower water. 3 hours later and i'm still devoid of a bite.

A final move saw m sat on the little River Monnow. The bank side was pretty much undisturbed and had clearly been very under fished this season. The water had a nice pace to it and a little bit of colour too, All looked spot on for a bite to be honest. Another 4 hours passed and in came the heavy rain. I decided to call it a day and another very blank session.

My next opportunity arrived when Ryan rang me with an invite for the evening. Things looked great for a bite and the river had dropped a few inches and still had a decent colour to it....It had to be right this time surely?

Well, it bloody wasn't that's for sure as we sat for the best part of 4 hours with the only bite coming from a foul hooked fish on one of Ryan's rods....this produced a staggering first run followed by a ping and a few scales being his only reward. Very frustrating....This being topped off by endless piles of large beds of floating weed and debris. This proved to be most problematic with the rods only being able to sit still for a few minutes at a time.
The Monnow looked spot on but still produced nothing!!

With the river now up over 2.10m it's likely to not fish much more this season for the barbel and chub. I'm now thinking about getting my pike fishing hat back on. I feel kind of sad to see the back end of the barbel fishing for this year and I kind of thought I would have better results than that of the 2013 season. Saying that last season I caught 64 barbel including 9 doubles and this year I've had exactly 60 and just 2 doubles....This all down in my opinion to the varied venues I have fished this season rather than just my club stretch.

I'm going out this week all being well to try my hand at an overnighter on a local little water and try out some new baits etc. I'm hoping the carp there haven't switched off for the winter too! Tight lines to you all and I hope your still all catching a few worth while fish!

Keith x