Thursday 26 February 2015

Turn the volume to 11!

A bit of my writing in Barbel Fisher 38
Hi guys, just finished reading the latest edition of Barbel Fisher magazine in which I have a nice article on the Wye and the story of the capture of my first double from the river. It's all beautifully written in that mag and I love the overall layout.

It's always a pleasure to write for because you just know it'll all be done great justice by the lads who put it together. Special thanks to Rob Hilton for all his hard work and for getting my copy out to me specially. Hope your back to good health buddy x

Stunning stripeys!

I've been on the lake side this evening for a few hours drowning a few tiger prawns for the old stripeys. Not been after them much this year to be honest....Not sure why I haven't?

It's probably down to less time, poor weather and a few other aspects thrown into the equation. I didn't get down the pool until 4.15pm today but in my opinion there's no better time to fish for perch than just as the light is fading.


They came thick and fast!


We'll I didn't prove that opinion wrong tonight as in just 3 hours fishing time I landed no less than 11 perch to 2lb 2oz on a combination of methods.

The best technique by far seemed to be to use a Drennan Crystal glow tip insert waggler on a 6lb main line tied to a piece of Drennan Suplex 4.9lb hook link material and a size 6 hook.

To this I presented a nice fat, juicy tiger prawn and fed a few of those and some maggots over the top.

The other rod had a light weight presentation of just 3 BB shot on a bottom set up with just a size 4 hook to accompany the rig. The same bait of a large tiger prawn being introduced to the swim.
Both set ups caught fish but the float set up out fished the split shot rig 8-3!

All the better fish seemed to be to the float bar one as well. All of them over the pound bracket with 3 nearly knocking 2lbs as well. Not bad for an evenings work!

The weathers been too wet this week to his the Wye, which is now hanging around the 3M mark and will be pushing through like a chocolate rocket!

The Taff wasn't looking much better but that should fall quite quickly and hopefully give me the chance to get back on there for a few more nice Grayling before the end of the season on the 14th March.
What a great evening!

I've really got all my fingers and toes crossed for decent weather for the last ten days of the season as I have a few days booked in with my buddy Bob on the Kennet, hoping to break my River and canal Carp virginity!

Then it's back up here for the final 2 days on the Wye in search of Herefordshires finest gold bullion! Between then and now I might just grab a swift 48hr session next week in on a local club water in search of an early season clonker. Weather allowing of course!

See you all soon
K
x