Wednesday 11 March 2015

Trials at Todber

A stunning Todber scene by night
Hi all.....

I was rather hoping to be writing a glowing review and massive fish report for the trip Bob and I have just returned from to Todber Manor Fishery in Dorset but unfortunately it didn't go quite as to plan as we'd have liked!

Before I start with the report I'd like to say that I by no means make a habit of knocking stuff until I've tried it for myself and fishing is fishing....we don't always catch, there are many far better anglers than that of myself and I often as much blank when others catch.....many occasions down to poor swim choice or lack of skill in locating the fish. This being said I also refuse to sit and remain quiet when I feel the need to speak out about something.

I left the house early Sunday morning and headed down to Warmwell to see my dearest mum and step dad. I get very little chance to see them these days with trips numbering maybe just twice a year at best, so when I'm in the local area it's always a treat to pop in and see them. They're always welcoming and I always get a good munch up when I visit as mums forever buying the best grub!

A damaged dorsal & broken rib were the least of it's problems!
Anyway after a late brekkie early lunchy typey thingy, I hit the road for Todber some 20 miles north of Warmwell. I arrived pretty much a minute before Bob....perfect timing. Bob was in a rather unsettled frame of mind and the journey hadn't helped him one bit. Despite feeling crap we were both rather excited about the prospect of nailing a ton of the supposed carp that were residing in Big Hayes.

After a brief but polite conversation with the chaps in the very well presented and stocked shop, we got back into the cars and headed over the road to the lakes. The drive down the lane was a little lumpy but the pools were set down in the base of some sprawling countryside and peace was something we were really looking forward to.

After being told that the center of the lake was producing the best and that 2 day ticket anglers had taken 10 fish from the middle pegs that morning, we decided to attack this area of the lake. We drove around to the two free swims to find a group of Polish fellas had taken up the middle swim with a rod and sat back in the swim next door with all their kit.....Rather annoyed I had to then set up down the lake away from the 'better area'.
Slightly better looking fish for Bob at 17lb 8oz

Bob took the island point and I settled in just below but I really wasn't feeling the swim at all. Just didn't have any confidence in where I was positioned. With crap weather heading in I had to make a decision though and settled for there. The rods were baited up and sent to their chosen spots using the bait boat. I placed around 100 freebies over each rod ready for the night ahead.

Very little happened before 10pm and my first run which resulted in the fish coming off and on observation I noticed the hook point was turned completely over....I can only put this down to a foul hooking???? Anyway, back it went out and it wasn't before 2.30am that I got another chance with a mirror of 16lb 8oz. Not the prettiest of fish by any standards and with an extreme broken rib protruding from it's flank, I was keen to get it back asap.

Another 17lber for Bobster!
Nothing else occurred until the following evening when Bob finally tagged a 17lb 8oz mirror. I was made up for him to be honest as he was feeling really down. He then proceeded to loose one which was a bit of a bugger.

I had decided to move in the morning to the first choice swim that the Polish lads were in. I then took a 14lb 10oz mirror around 3am, which had yet another broken rib protruding from it's side and half its fins missing.

The sport was excruciatingly slow all around with just one fella taking a couple of fish in 24hrs. Things were very poor and when 2 guys turned up at 10am, proceeded to spomb out around 20 kilos of pellets into the swim for their 5 hour day visit, things certainly didn't improve! Bob swim died totally and it was my turn to next grab one of 14lb 2oz. Again with a broken rib and missing fins! Not at all good as this one had a horrific parrot mouth that a Macaw would have been delighted with! I'm surprised it could even manage to eat at all.

No 2 for me
Bob finished of the captures on the final night with 2 x 17lb mirrors. One of those having a broken rib too......We were really amazed at the poor quality the fish were in. Very sad.

At this point I'd like to say that I'm not knocking the venue as i'm sure there are plenty of pretty fish in there and unfortunately many of the injuries may have occurred by piss poor angling but I cannot be certain of this.

One thing did become apparent and that was that I cannot honestly believe that there were the quantity of fish coming out that had been publicized as apparently the two fellas that packed up who supposedly had the 10 fish had actually caught 13 when reported.....We never saw a fish caught???

My final fish for the 72 hr session...
Anyway, enough with the conspiracy and stuff and in all honesty the venue is well thought out and the swims are very comfortable but it just wasn't for Bob or myself.

It felt alien and unwarming....just another hole in the ground filled with ugly fish for those that really aren't interested in a real challenge. Certainly not a venue we'd head back too in a hurry.

Fingers crossed the fishing is better on the Wye on Friday as we are hoping to get back together again for one last shot at the barbel before seasons end.

Much love to you all and keep those lines tight!
Keith x