Monday 13 July 2015

More Wye wonders!

And we're off!
Hi guys,

Bit of a change in the weather conditions this week for some of us. Down here in Bridgend it's pretty wet and miserable with a sticky warm feel to it. Not great for sleeping! I had another quick evening trip up to Monmouth last night and to say the river is on its bones is an understatement!

It's quite frighteningly low throughout and the swim I have fished twice now is 3 feet down below it's lowest point I've ever seen it at! Not good...

When I left home at around 5pm the rain was pouring at home but by the time I reached the river it was clear skies and quite nice fishing conditions. The swims were all free and there wasn't a sole to be seen on the whole stretch. I decided i'd jump straight back into the same peg i'd fished middle of last week as I felt it had the best chance of another fish or two.

By 8.30pm I was starting to regret my decision as i'd just had a few trembles and that was it??? Couldn't believe the speed some of the motor boats that the Rowing club were using again either...

One fella went past so quick that the wash from the boat was almost 3 feet high! Totally irresponsible and dam right ignorant. No wonder the fishing is hard in day light hours with prats like that tearing about!

I had my first take around 8.50pm and the rod did it's usual fly over at a rate of knots before tearing line from the spool! I was pleased to finally bag one at 8lb 1oz on the usual low river tactics of a straight lead and small pva bag and River Monster boilie!

The next fish came quite rapidly after and a nice spritely 7lb 7oz torpedo found the spreader block. Almost straight away after I was in yet again with a stunning 9lb 3oz chunk which was determined to tear around the entire river basin before weeding me up! A little on and off pressure saw her free'd up and eventually into the waiting net.

I had to wait about quarter of an hour for the next fish and boy was it worth it! One hell of a scrap with what I thought for a while may have been a carp until I saw it! Another nice double of 10lb 12oz! What a result....I was really feeling the love for the river Wye again and with two doubles including a new PB in the bag for the new season, I was feeling pretty darn good about life!

I was just about to net the double when the other rod ripped off! I couldn't believe it, two on at once! I netted the big fish and rested it in front in the water before grabbing the other rod. This fish felt good as well and after a few minutes of battling against the weed beds, she was mine. All 9lb 1ozs of her....two in the net for 20lbs! Epic fishing!

Thinking that was probably my lot for the evening, I started to pack my kit away....A few minutes later I heard a clicking noise and upon looking up I noticed my left hand rod bent double and yet another good barbel hooked.

Yet again she went for the weed beds in front and down to my left hand side but some constant pressure saw me good for another nice 9lb 13oz lunker! 2 chub swiftly followed the barbel and then finally to end the evening another brute of 8lb 2oz to make it 7 barbel for the night.



Tight lines all

Keith
x