Saturday 21 May 2016

Little time to spare

Hello all.
Lady of the stream!

It's been over 3 months since i put words to the screen of my laptop or pen to paper. It's also been 3 months since I last fished too! Possibly the longest period of time in many many years! There are numerous reasons for my not setting foot on the bank but chiefly the starting of a new line of work has drastically eaten into any free time I once had.

The job is very long hours and I'm away from home 6 days of the week and even 7 at times! In fact I worked out that I had done nearly 90 days work with just 6 days off. None of those spent fishing either! If i'm totally truthful with you though, I've lost heart in it a bit. Not something I ever thought I would say but it's true. I have finally had a skinful of many aspects of angling.

The weekly magazines have been publishing utter crap about fish captures, the internet is smothered with people treating a few anglers like total celebrities just because they've caught a couple of fish....outside of angling these people are nobodies. The constant jumping ship from one company to the next and then telling the consumer they shouldn't use any other product etc. Really all has got on my nerves of recent.
Itchen beauty!

To top it off Facebook, Twitter etc is littered with hatred and jealousy, people who always know better or who've caught bigger and better. Time for a massive deletion of said persons from these sites and surround myself with just the one's I regularly converse with. I've already deleted many dickheads and will continue to do so as they appear on my news feeds.

Angling has become fashionable and so many of these people think that they can make a good living from sitting on the bank fishing day in day out. More fool them..... My only angling from now on is going to be for me and me only i'm afraid. I don't have the time for the guiding any more and the bait business is just full of idiots wanting the best bait money can buy for £5 a kilo. It really is a waste of time dealing with it all.
Great way to see out the 2015 season

My last fishing trip was with the lovely SHUK lads i'm involved with. A very interesting and varied group of 30 lads and lasses who are very good at what they do. Not only that but they actually treat each other with respect and look after one another. Not something I have seen in recent 'club' years. We had a trip down to fish the amazing River Itchen in early March and to say it was a great day was an understatement. Mathew and I joined the usual suspects and roved the river with pin and float tactics. The grayling fishing was second to none and I ended the day with so many fish that I honestly lost count! Lots of ones and a few two pounders too! I even lost the mother of all huge chib right at the net! We had a great day out and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the company of the guys as ever!

Prior to that trip I had a few hours one evening on the River Wye. Just to try and get one last barbel out before seasons end. I sat for a few hours with motionless tips but finally after a couple of small chub I got a cracking 8lb plus fish to end the year with!

I've been struggling to get motivated to go back out since....whether this is down to my new work and lack of me time or the fact that I have lost interest??? I'm not 100% sure at present....I have been nursing a very painful trapped nerve in my shoulder blades that has required regular treatment and it also appears I have a problematic bicep tendon which may require surgery. It's certainly very very painful and has put pay to my new found love for down hill mountain biking!
Enjoying new hobbies!

I'm sure things will improve and I will get some sort of bug for fishing back but until then I'm going to just do a little bit of canal fishing for silvers etc and maybe the odd evening on the River when the season comes around. Until then it's all work and no play.

I hope your all in good health and I look forward to catching up with some of you soon!

Keith