Friday 9 September 2016

Enjoying the fruits of my labour!

A bit of me time at last!
Good day every one! Yes, I know it's been yet another 3 or 4 months since i last posted anything readable on here and I can only apologize for my recent spells of inaudibility.

The work aspect has been a major aspect of this and some days i have been doing upwards of 15 or 16 hours a day! Don't get me wrong though, I really love my job! You get to meet a huge variety of different people and I have made some great friendships along the way too.

The only reason I'm sat writing this now is that I have taken a few days off enforced only by the fact that my van needs a few repairs and as such needs to be grounded until then. Not a real issue though as I really need a small break if i'm honest.

Fishing has I'm afraid still remained at the back of my mind and I have ventured out only twice since my trip to the Itchen back in March of this year. I gave open day a miss on the river and as such only had a day on the Wye once since then at Luggsmouth in late June. It fished very poorly and despite my finest efforts all I caught were a few chub to just under 5lbs. The barbel seemed to just not be there.

Proper chunky old common!
Come the end of July and I was really feeling exhausted from work and a severe back issue was leaving me with zero energy and the pain was making everyday stuff a real graft. I decided to take a weeks holiday and headed over to Dream Lakes in France to hopefully get a little R&R and also try and re-install the fishing bug a little!

37lb plus mirror
Whilst the trip over was a little bit of a chore due to the long drive to Dover, horrendous holiday traffic etc and of course, the fact that I was nursing a stupidly painful bad back as well. The actual holiday itself was nothing short of brilliant!

I booked myself onto Lake 4 and with just 2 other chaps fishing it, we had a ball. I let them choose their swims first as I wasn't really bothered, I just wanted some rest really. If i caught some fish it would be a bonus.....Well, to say I caught some was an understatement. I had about 19 fish in total and probably lost nearly as many!

The fish were a mixture of commons and mirrors all over 20 and 30lbs bar just one of 18lbs. The biggest was a mirror of 37lb 14oz and I also had a huge PB grass carp of 38lb 2oz. What a fish it was too! Got some great pictures taken by my new mate Ron, top bloke! All the fellas on the trip turned out to be great fun and a total pleasure to enjoy the break with.

New PB grassy of 38lb 2oz
When I went out there about 8 years ago, I was pretty gutted with how the place had turned out. It was rather a miss with many dead fish, lack of interest from the staff and the clientele were no less than appalling.  But this time around I was very pleased to see how things have dramatically improved. Lots of great food, brilliant staff who actually went out of their way to help you out and some great fishing. I'm already planning my next trips over in 2017.

Two gorgeous girls, Natasha riding her 'Thelma'
It's not everyone's cup of tea as it's not really what you'd call proper carping. It's a bit holiday camp'ish at times but if you just want a break, a few laughs, looked after and fed well, then this is the place to go. Oh and there's a few pretty big old chunks in there too! I had a couple of small cats up to 28lb+ as well.


Back at home, things have been very exciting with our purchase of a fantastic piece of land behind our house. It's meant a massive amount to my family and the girls have been finally able to have the horses that they have spent their entire lives pining for! We now have 2 gorgeous animals...'Thelma', a four year old Welsh Cob with an amazing temperament and the lovely little gelding, yearling 'Storm'. He has come from a rather sad background of 5 different homes in his very short life and has finally landed on his feet with my ladies. He's been spoilt rotten and despite his chronic nervous tendencies, is finally starting to settle down.

I have spent many evenings strimming grass and brambles back, installing fencing posts etc and even a lovely 2 seater swinging chair with a view to die for! I finally feel i'm getting there with stuff. I may even think about getting myself a new car in the next couple of months. I've decided to stay with my trusted and loved Audi's and the A4 Avant has served us well for almost 9 years now! What a great car she has been. I really want something a bit more special now though and I've looked at numerous options. The car that I've settled on and even the wife seems to like is the awesome RS4 Avant.


The 450bhp V8 monster is such fun that it just has to be that car! I'm keeping my eyes open for a black one with cream leather interior. May take a while but i'm sure the right car is out there for us. Thomas has finally started a new career at college.

Enjoying the fruits of my labour at last!
He's taking a foundation course in building, plumbing and electrics etc. Very proud of him. Natasha had a glowing school report from last year and continues to excel at all she applies herself too.

So there we go....life is very hectic and spare time thin on the ground! But I don't think at this present time in life, i'd have it any other way. I hope your all in cracking health and I look forward to writing back on here soon with the results from my next foreign adventure in a few weeks time!

TTFN
Keith x