Thursday 30 July 2015

Toms PB Barbel!

Millies fiirst Chub!
Hello my friends.

Not felt much like July this last week or so if i'm totally honest as it's been bloody chilly at times! The winds been almost October'ish in its feel and the rain has done little to boost my mood. Despite the crap weather I have been out on the bank a bit this last two weeks.

First up I have to say a massive thanks to my best buddy Stuey and his lovely family for putting me up overnight in their gorgeous home in Christchurch last week. Stu and I had a great day on the Compound Weir pool but in hindsight we may have had more action going to Throop or somewhere else as the fishing was....well....crap!

We managed little more than a small 2lb chub, a few missed opportunities from bream and small barbel and Stuart landing a 15lb 5oz pike whilst retrieving a minnow that had taken his maggot hookbait!

Not intended species but very welcome!
It was a wonderful day though otherwise....we both caught the sun during the midday heat and Stu's mum, dad, wife and 2 kids popped down to join in the fun for a few hours. This was great for me as I got to do some great bonding with little Millie (Stuarts beautiful little girl aged 3). She was a delight to sit and talk to and the pair of us hit it off very well. Apparently she thinks i'm pretty cool for an old bloke with no hair!!! lol Even Millie out-fished both her Dad and I with a nice chub and her first ever fish! Well done Tinks!

After the events of Hampshire and the severe lack of Barbel action on the Avon, I felt a quick trip up the Wye was required to restore my confidence on Sunday afternoon. I arrived to find about 6 guys fishing on the club stretch....most looked as if they were most likely not members but since i'm not a bailiff, what can you do?

I opted to drop into a peg I used to find productive until last season and set about a few exploratory casts. I noted a few likely areas where I could find clear gravel and set about placing a bait in two spots. It was quite a while before my first bit of action and that resulted in a nice fish of just over 6lbs.

My 30th Barbel of the season at 10lb 2oz!
I then had to wait until it was almost dark before my next bites which came in quick succession and resulted in a fish I've had 4 other times before but usually at higher weights. This particular fish has a yellow blemish on its right hand cheek.

A nice one of 7lb 12oz though. Finally just before calling it a day I had another nice double of 10lb 2oz. Not a fish that I recognized either....Great to see another new double turn up!

I did a quick evening session on the much tougher River Taff on  Tuesday with Ryan. We managed to get into one of the hotter pegs near Cardiff City Center and despite pretty much perfect conditions and a bit of extra water and colour in the river.....we blanked.

Great start to the evening for Tom at 8lb 3oz!
Next up was a session on Wednesday evening with my son Thomas on the Wye. As some of you will know Thomas isn't a huge fishing fan. He's a bit of an indoors lad really and doesn't pleasure in getting covered in mud, dirt or fish slime! Saying that though, he does occasionally come out with me for a session and invariably catches something worth talking about! This week was to be no exception to the rule! He's barbel fished once before and managed two nice fish of 6lb odd and 8lb 12oz.

Well first cast resulted in a stunning torpedo of 8lb 3oz and Tom couldn't believe how quickly we were into fish....not only that but I think he'd forgotten just how bloody hard they fight too! What was funny though was that a group of baby ducks he'd been feeding for a while were hanging around the front of the swim while he was playing the fish and one of the brethren decided it was a sensible idea to attack the fish as we were about to net it! Nutter!

BOOOOOOOMMMMM! Get in Tom! New PB of 10lb 2oz! Well done son xxxx
Nice!
Next up was a 6lb 12oz fish which took him all over the place! We took a few pics before rebaiting the rods and recasting. The water was well up by over a foot and carrying some serious flotsam and weed down with it yet again. Toms next chance of a fish came just as it was getting dark and the bite was nothing short of incredible!

He bent into what was clearly a much bigger animal than he'd hooked before. The fight lasted a while as the fish pulled his line all over the river before succumbing to fatigue. On the scales she went 10lb 2oz and we both cheered at his delight in breaking his pb of 8lb 12oz and of course landing his first ever double! Well done son!

He had another 2 small fish of around 6lb and 6lb 5oz to end the evening. What a great result. I think he wants to come out again sooner rather than later as he now says he see's what it is that I like so much about fishing. Not only for the fish but the scenery, wildlife and of course the infinite tranquility that it brings with it.

Well done Lucy Rowley on catching a new PB as well!
I've got Natasha away for a fortnight at present, so i'm really looking forward to having her home in the next week or so as we have the Dave Mason guided day to book up and I also have a great day in store for Monday with my good mate Bob!

Brilliant stuff Dan!
Finally there is a few quick words to say about a lovely lady who has just banked a new PB mirror carp on just her second outing with her other half Mathew, who is a field tester for my bait company. Lucy Rowley did a night with Mat and the pair both caught stunning fish. Mat managed a cracking 21lber and Lucy weighed in a brilliant fish of 17lb 4oz! Well done guys!

Also a big well done to Dan Jones who went on to do his weekend session on the Severn at Bewdley and managed a nice little barbel using the tactics I showed hi the week prior! Well done Dan!
I hope your all well and kicking and catching lots of fish.

Tight lines
Keith
x