Thursday 23 April 2015

A crusty loaf!

What a beautiful few days weather we've had....I've been doing some garden works this weekend just gone. The wife had been requesting I made some new steps up to the garden since last year and despite the fact that I'd started them, I had as usual failed to finish them. I'd been finding excuses to not do the concreting as I knew full well that I would end up in agony with my hips and back afterwards. Needless to say I did 5 bags of ready mix and I was in pieces. Anyway, I've made a start and it's kept her in doors happy for another 12 months!

I popped back over to the pool I caught the nice common at last week on Wednesday lunch time with the sole intention of bagging one off the top. I arrived shortly after 12pm and there was a lot more people on there this time around. All the better spots were taken and the place I had seen a few nice carp milling around in on Thursday last week had a bloke feeder fishing in it.

Yet another high quality Glamorgan Anglers rig! :(
After setting up a rod, net and grabbing a nice loaf of crusty Tesco bread. I trundled around the pool to the far side set of pads that I fished last week. I sat for a good 15 minutes watching the water and it became apparent there were at least 4 fish milling around the set of pads in front of the swim. I watched as each one seemed to take a set route around the pads and made a few assumptions as to their next planned maneuver. I spotted one of the slightly larger mid doubles coming around the route and with a good minute or two before it arrived at its next main area, I flicked a small piece of said loaf out to the area and awaited the results.

As the fish approached the area it went straight for the bait and slurped away....bosh, the tip flew over and off she went, straight into the pads. I did my best to turn her and she came towards me before the hook lost it's hold???? I couldn't understand why until I checked my rig. It had become entangled in the most horrific abortion of a rig which the carp had been towing around behind it! Yet again another utter pile of shite rig, which some total fool had made up. It consisted of 3 swivels and an American snap link. 20lb plus line and large hook, rig tube and a sea fishing bead!

I cannot honestly believe in this day and age that anyone could still not know how to tie a safe and simple rig. There's so much free information available on the web, TV, DVD, YouTube, books, mags etc. How's it possible to still tie stuff up that can and will kill the fish if it becomes tangled up or cracked off. Anyway, I removed said abortion and retied my single hook to the line.

I waited a good 20 minutes before a few more fish started to come back into the swim. All the other guys around the lake were fishing on the bottom and I can't understand why when all the carp are up on the surface? Fish where the fish are!

A stunning common off the top and caught in beautiful scenery.....
A few carp started to file their way back into the pads and looked like they were pretty unperturbed by what had happened slightly earlier on. I watched the routes again through my polaroids and picked a fish from the 4 that were present. She wandered off out the swim and I took the opportunity to introduce my bait while she was away. A few minutes passed and she was back in the swim. Straight towards the bait like a homing beacon! And.....whoooomph down it went in one fowl swoop.

Game on! I struck and met a good solid resistance immediately.  I had to apply maximum side strain and she stayed clear of the pads but only just. She then tried her luck in the near side set of lilies but I was way ahead of her and planted the tip low and to the side. Within about a minute, she was hooked and landed! Another superb looking mid double sat glaring back at me from the mat and I took some stunning pics in the midday sun before packing up and heading over to my secret little water!

The pool was empty on arrival and despite a good hours observation, I saw nothing other than a shoal of forty plus bream to go on.....These made me want to steer clear of them by as far as possible, so I opted for the opposite end of the lake and I happened to spot 2 nice carp there two. I got the rods set up and sat back under the brolly for the evening....

Ryan popped down for a few hours perch and roach fishing and we had a great giggle watching the fish taking his hook bait and freebies on the underwater GoPro camera. My night after proceeded to be very quiet and I had to failed pick ups which I think were more than likely bream takes as they did the usual pick up and drop back, pick up and drop back on the bobbin. I struck into thin air on both takes. Disappointing but that's fishing for you!

Tight lines all and enjoy the sun while it's with us
Keith
X