Monday 20 April 2015

More than common!

Bonjour mes amis!

Big cuddles!
How we all doing? It's been a busy few days in our household with the usual weekend night working for the wife and myself on family duties as usual. The kids had great fun with the donkeys on the hill just up from our house on Sunday and they even managed to rescue a baby lamb, which had got separated from its mum by a 5ft high wire fence. The lamb was captured and unduly released, that was of course after copious amounts of cuddles from the kids!

We've also got new neighbours moved in next door after having no one present there for the best part of 6 months! It was great to find out that they are originally from Swanage and my old neck of the woods. We had a lovely chat about the place and I did my civic duty of giving them a little guided tour of the local area in the car, so that they at least knew where some of the essential amenities are.

Last Wednesday night I made my weekly jaunt over to the small club lake for the night and it was a very strange affair. I arrived at the pool around 4pm after gluttonizing my guts with a big fat Macdonalds burger and a pair of delicious apple pies! My Fave!  The lake appeared to be very serene and for the first time in 5 trips I couldn't see a single fish on the surface despite the bright warm sun which normally brings all the fish to the surface in there!

I had a walk around the pool with the polaroids on and there was nothing to see at all. Very strange??? I decided on my usual spot that i've been trickling a little bait into and got the gear sorted out. I'm trying out some of the new Mimicry 3D line from Pro Logic, which I have to say seems pretty darn good so far. It's very thin diameter, great strength and abrasion resistance and it looks the bollocks too!

The rigs were the usual size 4 curve shank with a blowback style set up and 4oz lead to a lead clip and about 1.5M of dark brown camou leadcore. I put a double hookbait on both rods and introduced a good helping of baits over each rod. The evening came by quickly and I settled down for the night. There was no bream action like the prior week but there was also no carp action either? It all looked and sounded rather eerie as a bank of incredibly thick fog rolled in!

I honestly couldn't see past the end of my 60" brolly! I lay back trying to make head and tail of the bank but my eyes grew heavy and I fell asleep by 10pm. I awoke an hour later in pain with my back which seems to give me grief most when the weathers a little damp and cold, which it was this eve. I dosed myself up with pain relief and settled back down with a good book for a few hours. I eventually nodded off and awoke around 6.45am to the fog which still hadn't properly cleared.
The fog rolled in!

There wasn't a sniff of action all night and the fish could still not be seen anywhere? Where were they all hiding out and why? I felt a little baffled and decided to call it a day as I had some orders to send out that day. The following day I decided i'd have a few hours out chasing crucians and tench at another nice club lake.

I got set up around 10.30am and despite 3 guys on the opposite bank it was very quiet. Unfortunately they had other ideas though and continuously yapped the arse end off a donkey for 6 hours about utter crap which included a lot of racist remarks towards the English....very sad individuals who proceeded to show just how great they were at angling by loosing fish in snags and further annoying me with continuous loud talking and full volume bite alarms! My pet hate!

The fishing itself was spasmodic but the fish I was catching were of a pretty reasonable stamp. Tench after tench came to my float fished caster, hemp, maggot and corn approach. But the crucians just seemed to be else where or not feeding in the bright sunlight. I sat it out all afternoon and eventually my friends opposite left me in peace and tranquility! It was a delight to now be sat in the gorgeous sun with no company other than the wildlife.

The fish started to feed better as the afternoon progressed and as the sun started to drop behind the fir trees I hit into something a bit better, which had the hell bent idea of dragging me into the lily pads. I applied as much pressure as I could on my 6lb main line and 5lb 8oz hook link. The fish played havoc with me but eventually I got the better of a very nice mid double common!
A nice mid double but not what I was really after!

More tench followed and I had a swim of boiling fish starting up....i decided to have a go at the surface feeders with the float and casters and it was a big old shoal of roach/ bream hybrids which seemed to be present. One after another fell foul to the set up and I ended the afternoon with 11 tench and 17 bream and hybrids and of course the nice little common.

I'm taking the wife horse riding tomorrow but Wednesday is earmarked as my night out this week at the little pool. I've got an idea the fish may well have started to make their way up the lake to the slightly shallower water in early response to the warm conditions and a possible view to spawning early on. I'll crack on with a night in the new spot and I have Ryan popping down for a few hours to say hello. Looking forward to a catch up with him as it's been sometime since we last fished together!

Hope your all in good health and catching lots of fish!

Keith x