Thursday 3 December 2015

1 for the week

Top bloke Lewis, great friend, web designer and even catches a few fish too!
Evening everyone....

I've been a bit quiet for the past few weeks due to time constraints of work and family and not only that the levels of rain coming down has pretty much stuffed up my chances of getting out on the river.

The levels of both my favourite venues have been sky high for the best part of 2 to 3 weeks now and still rising! Such a pain as I really did want to get back up the Severn and see if I could grab another 1 or 2 barbel before the end of the year.

Not looking likely at present but if things do improve just slightly this weekend then I may actually risk the drive up and give it a bash. On the angling front I did venture out for a very windswept and wet few hours with Lewis and Natasha to a local club lake.

Tash managed to rescue the day with a couple of nice carp to almost double figures.
We decided to go after the carp in the margins and to be honest it was some of the hardest fishing I've known down there for some time. Lewis managed a nice fish around 8 to 9 lbs and Natasha had a couple up to 10lbs. The best fish of the day was lost to a hook pull at last knockings....bit annoying but I think it was probably foul hooked anyway.



The Severn is well up and almost over the fields....
My next and only other trip out was a fortnight ago to another club water. It's a nice little weedy pool that I tend to just concentrate on in the Spring time as it has a habit of becoming a stagnant, dead end pool through the colder months.


This time round was rather harder than I expected and despite one repeat capture fish early on, I had hardly another twitch in 48 hours. I managed a couple of the old slimy bream but that was it. The carp I did catch was a rather pretty low double mirror that I had caught on one occasion before.



The fish fell for a pair of tigernuts soaked in Cola and Molasses for over 2 years. I had put in around 30 or so of them in the localized area and decided to fish mid way across the pool to the side of a fallen trees roots and some pads.

Small but extremely pretty.......at last a fish for me!


The depth drops away to over 10 feet but I decided to fish it in about 4 feet as I felt that the mid water section would more than likely chuck up a fish rather than in the much deeper water. The session passed by with nothing really happening after the carp and I think the weather had a lot to do with it. There is a mining area behind the site and in my opinion there is a lot of minerals present in the localized land.


When it rains the water in the pool turns a very heavy grey colour and life just seems to disappear in the pool. I think that it's very likely that there is a high level of lime in the ground which would also explain the lack of life in the venue and why the fish seem to struggle to maintain any decent weight.

Anyway, not a lot else to talk about on the fishing front at present or certainly until the rivers drop a tadd. I may if I can get up the Severn next week if it drops at all but I'll have to play that one by ear and see how it goes.

This week I have the exciting job of seeing the new Nuts about Carp website going live too. The work on the site is all down to the hard graft of my good mate Lewis who has put in a lot of hours to insure it's as good as it could possibly be! Can't wait to see it live and working!


Tight lines guys and I hope the end of 2015 is good to you all

Keith
x