Thursday 17 December 2015

2015 Review

Hi all....

My biggest highlight of 2015! Well done Natasha x
Just a short and sweet one for this week as it's neigh on Crimbo. I thought i'd piece together a few words and some nice pics featuring my favourite highlights of the year 2015 and what I honestly feel has been the best river season of my whole angling career. In fact i'd go as far as to say my best year ever in angling!

This year has seen many new developments for myself within angling. Parting company with Ian last year and saying goodbye to C.B.S was a little bit of a kick in the bollocks, but in all honesty it's been by far the best move I've made. Now I am free to run my business as I see fit and it's gone from strength to strength without the huge investment I feared it would need.
She did it again! 10lb 12oz PB
I started the guiding service up and that has taken off really well this year with almost every angler catching a new PB, most over double figures! A great example of what's available to those booking up a days guided with myself.

Dave Brooks with a stunner
I've met some wonderful guys and girls and some lifelong friends along the way this year and I've also found out who some of the rogues and back stabbers are too. Unfortunate but there's always one or two amongst the groups of people involved in our hobbies. Each has an agenda of some kind and I always seem to find them out at some point along the way.

Among the highlights of this year the most memorable had to be when Natasha grabbed runner up spot in the Dave Mason Trophy for the best barbel capture of the year at the 20th Barbel Society Conference.

The kid was a total star for the day and it's something that will stay with both her and myself till the day I die. Watching my little girl up on that stage was one of the greatest moments in my life and I think she'd agree that she was very excited too.

Mat with his first ever double
The obvious outcome of the show was that she then wanted to go out and beat the PB barbel of 10lb 4oz and a few weeks later she did just that with another corking fish of 10lb 12oz! The girl's an unstoppable fish magnet!

I guided a couple of right old characters this year and I enjoyed the company of every single one. Dave Brooks caught his first ever barbel whilst out with me and caught no less than 2 over 10lbs in one short evening! Incredible.....His lovely partner Emma Dyer fished on a very tough evening and had her first ever barbel which went exactly 10lbs.

Dan Jones caught his first ever barbel after numerous blank guided trips out with others. He managed 3 on his first session out with me. Andy and Lewis both had doubles and so did Chris Tupper! He'd had 6 fish all season and managed to catch 7 in an evening with me including a new PB and first ever double! Gary Brooks had a double and a couple more to boot.

Another proud daddy moment for me...Thomas with his first ever double at 10lb 5oz
The Brumder Mathew Oneill has had an excellent season fishing with me and he's caught 30 plus barbel in just 10 trips out. Hes had numerous cracking fish including his first ever double on June 16th of all days too!

Lewis had his first ever barbel and a double as well!
Ian Oxley has been out with me a few times and is slowly wading his way through the coarse fish species list...He caught numerous barbel on his first ever session fishing for them and took a cracking one of over 11lbs!

To top the guided trips off my lad Thomas managed to bag his first ever double too at 10lb 5oz. And finally my beloved wife Marianne even had her first ever barbel at over 8lbs as well....What a year it has been for friends, relatives and clients on the barbel front!

My personal year has been just incredible....It's the first time I have pretty much set my stall out all season for just barbel and I have fished 7 different rivers this year for barbel and caught from 4 of them.

The wife with her first ever Barbel!
I have amassed no less than exactly 120 barbel captures and featured 16 doubles in that haul. I've had a double from The Wye, The Severn and The Kennet this year and realized a life long ambition in catching my first Kennet barbel and of course at over 11lb too!

I have so so enjoyed my club stretch of the Wye this year as the fish have been relatively easy to locate and as easy to catch. They've fed well all year up until the floods arrived. The Severn at Pixham has also been extremely kind to me and also incredible enjoyable too.

Despite the bastard of a walk with all my kit across the field to my favourite swim, it has supplied my need for rod bending action on every single trip up there to date.

Dan Jones first ever Barbel
The Kennet is a totally different river to all the above and with it's beautiful overhanging trees, meandering path, shallows, deep holes, tight bends and stunning scenery. It has me hooked in a way I didn't think was possible. I just can't wait to get back there to wet my lines in search of something really special....roll on 2016!

The carping this year has been poor on many fronts and that's probably down to my complete and almost non-existent interest in it at present. The club waters have provided very little interest to me with anything of any size already seeing my net....

This included the capture of the Treoes Grass carp which I had at 22lb 4oz one week and Natasha had it the next! Another amazing moment for the pair of us.....Apart from that fish I haven't seen much else on the carp front all year. If i'm truthful, I've not really missed it either.

Natasha with the big grassy!
I had planned to do a bit more Perching and Piking this winter but as yet it still feels far too mild out for me to want to get out chasing predators. I know the season for them is here and there's nothing wrong in going for them at any point after 1st October but I just can't get excited about them this year.

I'm still so very focused on the Barbel. This year I have had yet more written work published in magazines including the wonderful Barbel Fisher. It's been a true pleasure to write for the magazine and it's always put together beautifully.
Bob, a true friend and great angler.

I must at this point thank all those that have put their faith in me this year and booked days out. I must also say a huge thanks to those of you that have gone out of your way to help myself out too. You know who you are.....There's three particular blokes who stand out from the crown though. First up I must mention my awesome mate Bob.

Bob and I have spent many sessions fishing together this year and I must admit despite the abuse he gives me I've grown rather fond of the old git! He's spent many hours guiding me along the banks of his rivers and lakes and I've done the same on my waters. Our friendship has blossomed and I look forward to spending many more sessions with him next year.

Next up I must mention my best pal on the planet. Stuey....Stu and I have been mates for 30 years nearly now and we have both celebrated our 40th this year. Neither of us were greatly enamored with turning middle aged but we go on with it and went fishing. As ever we enjoyed the trip thoroughly and I always hate saying goodbye to him when I have to leave. I hope one day we'll be able to retire nearer to each other and see out our final years on the bankside.
My best friend Stuart...x

Finally I must mention a new friend of mine that has become a rather big asset. Lewis and I have only known each other for about 12 months or so but he's been a great friend, supporter and he's just finished building the new Nuts website for me. And what a wonderful job the fella has done too! Outstanding work that I could never have done myself. To top it off he's also a rather likeable bloke too! I find myself drawn to his company and I look forward to many more good angling and banter sessions with him the coming year! Thanks for your hard work buddy! x

I plan to try a lot of new waters in 2016...this will be split into 3 river formats. The Wye will continue to be high on the agenda but I will be getting 2 new tickets to provide my angling with some variety. Then the Severn which I will remain fishing at Pixham. My other venue with probably the highest priority will be that of The Kennet. I have penciled in as much time as I can muster up to fish this stunning river and I am adamant that I can beat my PB from the little venue.
Far from the biggest this season but almost certainly the most treasured. 11lb 4oz from the Kennet!
Well, that really is it for me for now so have a wonderful Crimbo and New Year...Remember to stay safe if your going out as the bank sides are very wet and slippery at present.

Love to you all

Keith x